What is Your Hope?
This lesson can be used either in a classroom or online.
Description: A Missouri middle school put the question “What is your hope?” on a chalkboard outside school before people arrived. They made a video of the ways students and teachers responded to the question. For this session, you can begin with the video (available on the Video tab) and then move to discussion and questions. For suggested discussion questions, see the Discussion Questions tab.
- What are your hopes for yourself? What are others’ hopes for you?
- What is hope? Is it an idea, a feeling, a virtue? Something else?
- Is hope necessary for living a good life?
- Is it ever bad or unproductive to have hope?
- Can it be good to hope even if there’s no good reason to do so?
- What is the difference between hoping and wishing?