Time & Identity: A Visually Guided Discussion
Notes for teachers/facilitators:
The years students spend in the classroom are some of the most meaningful for their self-awareness, identity developments, and opportunities for intellectual growth. This lesson provides a fun and tactile way for students to think about the concept of time: What is time? What is the tie between identity and time? Are you the same person as yesterday? When do you stop being you?
· Magazines to be cut (new/old)
- One piece of paper per student
· Glue Sticks
· Other arts and crafts supplies (whatever is
Instructions for the activity/discussion:
We begin the lesson by asking an open-ended question: How have you changed since the beginning of the school year, if at all? (This question can be written on the board and/or asked out loud).
Then, divide the students into pairs and ask them to use the magazines and art supplies provided to represent the change they underwent, individually or mutually, this year. If the class in question runs for one quarter, for example, the same questions can be asked about the quarter – whatever makes sense in your context.
Then, give the students 15-20 minutes to create their collages, while walking around the room and checking on their progress. After the allotted time, can go around the room and have one of the students from each pair present their collage and explain their creation. The discussion then can be naturally divergent from the presentations, and include the questions and wonderings found in the “Discussion Questions” section.
A PDF of the complete lesson is available by clicking the Lesson Attachment link above.
- What is time?
- What is the tie between identity and time?
- Are you the same person as yesterday?
- When do you stop being you?
- How have you changed since the beginning of the school year, if at all?
- How does the collage you created represent who you are now, and who you were at the beginning of the year? Is there a change? Why or why not?
- Does time necessarily impact who we are? Are there some parts of us that do not change?
- Are we the same people when we are young and old?
- When do you stop being you with the passage of time? Is there some fundamental characteristic that makes you you?
Connect With Us!