This lesson can be used either in a classroom or online.
Plot Summary: In Jiaqi Emily Yan’s animated short “Mind Games,” a child sits bored at a school desk, trying to focus on classwork. Their brain jumps out of their head, stuffs it with books, and heads outside to play while the child robotically regurgitates the information from the books onto their paper. When the schoolwork poses the question “What is the meaning of life?” the child can no longer rely on the books to answer, causing a meltdown. The brain returns and draws a colorful picture in response to the question.
- Is it the child’s brain or mind that leaves?
- Is there a difference between the mind and the brain?
- Does your mind ever feel as though it goes somewhere else? Where does it go?
- Can information from books answer most of the questions at school?
- Can books tell us the meaning of life?
- What is the meaning of life?