2020 PLATO Conference
June 26-27, 2020
Sixth PLATO Conference
Dates: June 26-27, 2020
Location: University of California, San Diego
Theme: Ethics in Schools, Communities, and the Public Sphere
The conference, celebrating PLATO’s tenth anniversary, will focus on ethics – in schools, the university, communities and the public sphere, and across the lifespan. Of all philosophy’s areas of focus, ethics is perhaps one of the most accessible, the way many are introduced to the discipline both in and out of school and at various stages of life. During the conference, we will explore how to incorporate ethical perspectives into discussions that unfold in educational and other public spaces across all age groups. The conference aims to present a diverse set of perspectives on ethics education.
Submissions from PK-12 educators, graduate and undergraduate students, faculty, administrators, and others interested in ethics education are welcome. Submissions on other topics in philosophy in schools and public philosophy will also be considered. We welcome proposals for conference presentations, workshops, and a poster session. Proposals, aside from workshop proposals, will be blind-reviewed. All proposals must be submitted by December 1, 2019. More information on the format and requirements for proposals can be found here.
Conference Proposal Details
Workshops are interactive sessions that help participants apply new ideas to their own contexts. These may include, but are not limited to, innovative classroom techniques, new best practices, current challenges, use of the creative arts, and programmatic endeavors. Presenters will lead workshop participants through a scaffolded, collaborative process, and will clearly guide workshop participants through an interactive session. Presenters should frame the discussion, but speak no more than 10-15 minutes. Workshop Proposals must include:
- Names and affiliations of presenters, as well as short biographies [75-word limit]
- Overview of the workshop to appear in the conference program if accepted [500-word limit]
- Qualifications of presenter(s), including past experience, for leading the workshop
Presentations and Posters
These sessions provide participants with scholarly viewpoints, seek feedback on new ideas, and model programs related to precollege and public philosophy. Presenters should prepare to speak for no more than half the time, allotting the other half for discussion. Presentation & Poster proposals must include:
- Abstract that briefly explains the relevant issue, purpose, and expected discussion themes to be covered in the talk and engaged discussion time [250-word limit]
- On a separate, last page, name(s) and affiliation(s) of the presenter(s) and a brief biography [75-word limit per presenter]
Submit Your Proposals Here
Submit Easily Online!
If you would like to offer a presentation at the 2020 Conference, please use the form on this page to submit your proposal.
If you have any questions or need to reach us directly prior to filling out this form, please email us at email@example.com.
Hotel Accommodations & Travel
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093
San Diego International Airport (SAN) – 14 miles to campus by taxi, Uber, Lyft or rental car
Solana Beach Station Amtrak (WPK) – 10 miles to campus by taxi, Uber, Lyft or rental car
All of the hotels on the list below provide discounted room rates to UC San Diego visitors. Please note that these hotels generally base their discounts on date and availability. Tell the concierge that you are attending a UC San Diego-sponsored event and ask about the courtesy airport and campus shuttles.
- Amenities: Indoor swimming pool and hot tub, Fitness center and dry sauna, $20/day parking, Complimentary Breakfast, Car Rental Desk, Business Center, High Speed Wired Internet, High Speed Wireless Internet, Gift Shop, On-Site Convenience Store, Shuttle to UCSD
- Address: 4550 La Jolla Village Dr, San Diego, CA, 92122
Distance from UCSD: 2 miles east
- Make a Reservation or call 858-453-0400 and ask for the UCSD rate
- Amenities: Outdoor swimming pool and hot tub, Fitness center, $30/day parking, High Speed Wireless Internet, Gift Shop
- Address: 10950 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037
Distance from UCSD: 2 miles north
- Make a Reservation or call 858-558-1500 and ask for the UCSD rate
- Amenities: $10/day parking, walking distance to campus (cross N Torrey Pines Rd), Fitness Center, outdoor pool, spa, and discounted $8.00 daily Hospitality Services Fee (regularly $17.00 daily) which provides guests the following amenities: welcome beverage station of sparkling wine/water, (2) Voss Waters daily in guest sleeping rooms, daily newspaper, in-room Peerless Coffee, morning beverage/coffee service in Trinitas Cellars Wine Bar space (6am – 10am), 24 hour internet office, internet in guest rooms and common area, local & 800 calls, fitness center and pool usage.
- Address: 9700 N Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla, CA 92037
Distance from UCSD: 0.7 miles west
- Reservation: Call (858) 550-1000 and ask for the UCSD rate
- Amenities: Rate includes Shuttle Service within a 3 mile radius, In-room high-speed wireless Internet, State-of-the-art fitness facility, open 24 hours, Outdoor heated swimming pool, Complimentary morning newspapers delivered to your door, Complimentary morning coffee and tea in the lobby, Cusp Dining & Drinks, located on the eleventh floor, with a California-coastal menu featuring fresh fish and seasonal produce set against the backdrop of spectacular ocean vistas.
- Address: 7955 La Jolla Shores Drive La Jolla, CA 92037
Distance from UCSD: 2 miles south
- Make a Reservation or call 858-459-0261 and ask for the UCSD rate
- Amenities: Walking distance to campus (using bridge), shuttle service (based on availability and must be pre-arranged with the front desk), spacious apartment-style hotel with fully equipped kitchens, complimentary WIFI in guest rooms, complimentary hot breakfast buffet daily, complimentary MIX reception (M-W) with light fare and beer and wine, fitness center, outdoor pool, dry cleaning, onsite laundry, $18/day self-parking, walking distance to shopping center and restaurants, meeting rooms available. *Rooms are newly refreshed.
- Address: 8901 Gilman Drive, La Jolla CA 92037
Distance from UCSD: 0.7 miles south
- Book on www.marriott.com/lajca using the “Corporate/Promotional Code” – UC0 (zero) or call (858) 431-2077 and ask for the UCSD Rate
- Amenities: Free WIFI, mini fridge, and microwaves in all guestrooms, $10/Day Parking, Walking Distance to UCSD (using bridge), Walking distance to shopping Center, Car Rental on Property, Heated Outdoor Pool, Fitness Center
- Address: 3299 Holiday Court, La Jolla, CA 92037
Distance from UCSD: 0.7 miles south
- Make a Reservation or call 858-453-5500 and ask for the UCSD rate
2020 Conference Sponsors
Here’s what some participants had to say about the 2015 conference:
- “I learned multiple new strategies for engaging in the classroom, especially with regard to inclusivity and discussions of social justice.”
- “I’ve made connections with several colleagues that will lead to national and international collaborations.”
- “I am not a teacher, but I have learned ways to integrate philosophy and philosophical thought into a classroom, specifically an elementary classroom.”
For more information about past conferences (including presentation topics) please click on one of the conference brochures below, or check out the video about the 2015 conference: