Every other year PLATO hosts a conference for all those interested or involved in pre-college philosophy. The next conference will be held at Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida on June 21-22, 2019 (details below). To receive information about future conferences please sign up for the listserv at the bottom of the page under “Get in Touch”.
The Fifth Biennial PLATO Conference will be held on June 21-22 at Rollins College, Florida.
Fifth Biennial PLATO Conference
Dates: June 21-22, 2019
Location: Rollins College, Winter Park, Florida
Theme: Innovation and collaboration: Making Classrooms More Philosophical
The conference will emphasize the collaborative nature of philosophy for children, both inside the classroom and across disciplines. Expanding the traditional conception of how philosophy is introduced to young people, the conference will highlight many innovative ways to bring philosophy into classrooms and into classes devoted to other subject areas. Presentations that explore non-traditional forums for discussing philosophy are especially encouraged. Submissions on other topics in pre-college philosophy also are welcome.
The conference is funded in part by the Squire Family Foundation and Rollins College.
Professional Development Training for Preschool to third grade teachers
Date: Thursday, June 20th
Time: 6 pm – 9 pm
Location: Rollins College Hume House
Register by 21st by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Details: $50 fee & 3 clock hour certificates awarded
Click here for flier: Good neighbor event june 2019 flyer
Step 1: Registration fees!
Select the appropriate registration type from the dropdown menu below and remit your payment to PayPal. Note you do not need a PayPal account, you can pay with a credit card – it will just get processed on PayPal’s secure servers.
Step 2: Your Information
Additional 2019 Conference Theme Details
Learn more about this years' theme
The theme for the conference emphasizes the collaborative nature of philosophy for children, both inside the classroom and across disciplines. It seeks to include many innovations that have been made to the traditional conception of doing philosophy with young people including bringing philosophical content into classes devoted to other subject areas.
Presentations that explore non-traditional forums for discussing philosophy are especially encouraged. Submissions on other topics in pre-college philosophy also are welcome.
What to expect from a PLATO conference
The 2019 PLATO Conference will feature concurrent sessions involving hands-on workshops, papers, and presentations on the general theme of collaboration and innovation and other topics relevant to pre-college philosophy. There will also be a demonstration of the Rollins College pre-K philosophy program. There will also be a poster session to showcase pre-college programs and initiatives not included in the program as well as organizations that are now partnering with PLATO.
Throughout the conference, there will be an attempt to employ the Community of Inquiry methodology in which participants interact with one another rather than listen to lectures. Sessions chairs will be instructed to adhere to this and to be sure that each participant has the opportunity to respond to what has transpired in the session.
Hotel Accommodations & Travel
Conference Location: Rollins College
- 1000 Holt Ave., Winter Park, Florida
- Orlando International Airport (MCO) – 15 miles to campus (Uber or rental car)
- Sanford International Airport (SFB) – 20 miles to campus (Uber or rental car)
- Winter Park, FL Amtrak (WPK) – walking distance to campus
There are three housing options on or within walking distance of campus (below). For those with cars or Uber, there are several hotels within 10 miles of campus.
- Old-Florida Elegant
- Corner of Park Ave & Central Park
- Amazing Balcony
- One block from Campus
PLATO Room Reservations: 28 rooms total for up to 35 people
- $149-$199/night (ask for PLATO Conference Rate)
- phone: 407-647-1072
Dorms at Rollins College
- On Campus
- Apartment style with private bathrooms
- Must supply your own Twin XL (extra long) bed linen, toiletries and towels.
PLATO Room Reservations: https://rollins.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bCVaa0tJK05bUot
Available from June 20-23
- $4 Key card
- Single room not in a suite ($75/person)
- Single room in a suite of two rooms ($55/person)
- Shared room ($40/person)
- Owned by Rollins College
- All profits go into a scholarship fund
- Houses College’s Contemporary Art Collection
- Pool & Restaurant
- One block from Campus & Park Ave
PLATO Room Reservations: ask for the Teacher Discount (new rates set Jan. 1)
Additional Local Hotels
- Motel 6 Orlando – 5300 Adanson St, Orlando, FL 32810 / (407) 647-1444
- Sweet Lodge – 271 Orlando Ave, Winter Park, FL 32789 / (407) 644-6099
- Sheraton Orlando North – 600 N Lake Destiny Rd, Maitland, FL 32751 / (407) 660-9000
- Comfort Suites Downtown – 2416 N Orange Ave, Orlando, FL 32804 / (480) 725-1679
- Crowne Plaza Orlando-Downtown – 304 W Colonial Dr, Orlando, FL 32801 / (407) 843-8700
Here’s what some participants had to say about the 2015 conference:
- “I learned multiple new strategies for engaging in the classroom, especially with regard to inclusivity and discussions of social justice.”
- “I’ve made connections with several colleagues that will lead to national and international collaborations.”
- “I am not a teacher, but I have learned ways to integrate philosophy and philosophical thought into a classroom, specifically an elementary classroom.”
For more information about past conferences (including presentation topics) please click on one of the conference brochures below, or check out the video about the 2015 conference: