BENEFITS OF PLATO MEMBERSHIP
- Becoming part of the national pre-college philosophical community.
- Sharing lesson plans and other teaching materials with colleagues (through the PLATO website and listserv, newsletters, and PLATO-sponsored conferences).
- Receiving discounts at all institutes, conferences and other trainings in pre-college philosophy offered by PLATO, as well as discounts at conferences offered by the American Association of Philosophy Teachers.
- 20% discount on Philosophy and Education: Introducing Philosophy to Young People, a new anthology that emerged from the first PLATO conference in 2011.
- Access to a membership list of teachers, philosophers and others teaching philosophy in pre-college classrooms.
- PLATO members now have online access to over 4,500 articles, reviews and other documents from 10 publications:, including:
- Demonstrating Philosophy (anthology), 1988
- Questions: Philosophy for Young People, Volume 1 (2001) to the present
- Teaching New Histories of Philosophy (conference proceeding), 2004
- Teaching Philosophy, Volume 1 (1975) to the present
- Teaching Philosophy Today (anthology, 2nd edition), 2012
- The Journal of Pre-College Philosophy, Volumes 1-2 (1975-1977)>
- The Journal of Critical Analysis, Volumes 1-9 (1969-1992)
PLATO memberships are managed by the Philosophy Documentation Center.
Register to become a PLATO member here
American Philosophical Association
Teacher Associate Membership
Teacher associate membership in the American Philosophical Association (APA) is open to those employed or seeking employment as teachers in primary or secondary schools who teach or are preparing to teach philosophy in a primary or secondary school, provided they do not also teach philosophy at the college or university level. Teacher associate members are not affiliated with an APA division and thus do not have voting privileges.
Teacher associate membership dues are $45 per year for APA membership only, or you can opt for a joint membership in both the APA and PLATO for $100 per year.