BECOME A PLATO MEMBER!
PLATO members represent a diverse range of backgrounds and professions, including teachers, students, academics, parents, grandparents, librarians, school administrators, and nonprofit leaders. Our members are from all across the United States as well as from other countries.
Joining PLATO connects you with hundreds of other educators and students dedicated to bringing philosophy into the lives of young people.
Individual memberships are $75, with special rates for students. PLATO memberships are managed by the Philosophy Documentation Center.
Benefits of PLATO Membership
- Become part of a national community supporting philosophy for young people.
- Learn about upcoming conferences, webinars, and other events.
- Share lesson plans and other teaching materials with colleagues.
- Support PLATO’s efforts to increase access to philosophy for students of all ages, including those in underserved communities.
- Access to a members-only list of teachers, philosophers and others teaching philosophy in K-12 classrooms.
- PLATO members have online access to over 4,500 articles, reviews, and other documents from 10 publications at the Philosophy Documentation Center, including:
- Demonstrating Philosophy (anthology) (1988)
- Questions: Philosophy for Young People, Volume 1 (2001) to the present
- Teaching New Histories of Philosophy (conference proceeding) (2004)
- Teaching Philosophy, Volume 1 (1975) to the present
- Teaching Philosophy Today (anthology 2nd edition) (2012)
- The Journal of Pre-College Philosophy, Volumes 1-2 (1975-1977)
- The Journal of Critical Analysis, Volumes 1-9 (1969-1992)
Receiving discounts at:
- Conferences offered by PLATO.
- Conferences offered by the American Association of Philosophy Teachers.
- 20% discount on Philosophy and Education: Introducing Philosophy to Young People, an anthology that emerged from the first PLATO conference in 2011.
American Philosophical Association/PLATO Joint Membership for Teachers
Teacher-Associate membership in the American Philosophical Association (APA) is open to those employed or seeking employment as teachers in primary or secondary schools who teach or are preparing to teach philosophy in a primary or secondary school, provided they do not also teach philosophy at the college or university level. Teacher-Associate members are not affiliated with an APA division and thus do not have voting privileges.
Joint PLATO and APA Teacher-Associate membership dues are $100 per year.
Visit the APA to purchase a joint membership ih PLATO and the APA.