PLATO is Hiring!
Interested candidates should send an email message describing their interest in the position, along with an attached resume and the names, titles, and phone numbers of two references, to: email@example.com, by 5 pm PST August 31, 2019.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED!
JOB POSTING: Executive Director
PLATO (Philosophy Learning and Teaching Organization), founded in 2010, is a non-profit organization that advocates and supports introducing philosophy to precollege students through programs, resource-sharing, and the development of a national network of those working in precollege philosophy.
Mission Statement: PLATO promotes philosophy classes for all K-12 students, including those in classrooms least likely to have access to academic enrichment programs. Bringing together the education and philosophy communities, PLATO celebrates diversity within the philosophy classroom and endorses a wide variety of philosophical approaches and methods.
PLATO seeks its first Executive Director to help develop, coordinate, and administer PLATO’s programs and strategic planning. The Executive Director will work closely with the members of PLATO’s Executive Committee to accomplish the organization’s day-to-day work. Initially, this will be a quarter-time job, with the expectation that the Executive Director will work from his or her location approximately 10 hours each week. Compensation is $15,000 per year.
Leadership and Programs
- Work with the Executive Committee to ensure the quality of all PLATO programs and communications; recommend and create timelines, resources, and other organizational measures needed to achieve PLATO’s strategic goals.
- Work with the Executive Committee to engage PLATO volunteers, board members, committee members, supporters, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Work with the Executive Committee to assess and evaluate program components to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
- Work with the Executive Committee to engage in ongoing strategic planning for the organization.
- Support all board committees, attending committee meetings as needed.
- Keep an annual calendar and monitor and track the timelines for all programs.
- Manage other administrative organizational details.
Development and Communications
- Work with the Executive and Development Committees to increase revenue-generating and fundraising activities to support and expand existing programs.
- Work with the Executive Committee and the Development Coordinator to ensure effective management of PLATO communications.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from PLATO’s online presence to external relations –with the goal of developing enhanced visibility.
- Work with the Executive Committee to communicate to stakeholders the successes of PLATO programs.
- Demonstrated commitment to PLATO’s mission
- At least two years of experience in the field of precollege philosophy
- Experience in program management
- Ability to work independently and apply a broad knowledge of program and administrative practices and strategies
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and time management skills
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well collaboratively
- Excellent computer skills
- B.A. or advanced degree